Independence day is Wednesday! If you’re like me and accidentally leave things to the last minute because life can get hectic / you still work during summer months / need to throw some fun hosting treats together super quickly, here are five easy themed dessert recipes.
An American Classic – Apple Pie!
2 Ingredient Apple Pie Bites via Pillsbury
- 1 can (13 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing
- 1 1/3 cups more fruit apple pie filling (you can also use cherry and blueberry pie filling if you want them to be red and blue)
Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 8 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray. Set icing aside. Separate dough into 8 rolls. Press into and up sides of muffin cups to line the cups. Spoon 2 generous tablespoons pie filling into each dough-lined cup. Bake 14 to 18 minutes or until golden brown; cool in pan 5 minutes. Transfer icing to small microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on Low 8 to 10 seconds or until thin enough to drizzle. Place rolls on serving plate; spoon icing over rolls.
Red, White and Blue Brownie Bites
- 16-18 brownie bites, store bought
- 1/2 cup cool whip (the original recipe calls for whipped cream mixed with sugar)
- 5-6 strawberries, quartered
- 3 oz. blueberries
Dollop cool whip onto brownie tops and layer with strawberries and blueberries.
Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Ice cream sandwiches
- Red, white, and blue sprinkles
Super easy! Roll store bought ice cream sandwiches in red, white and blue sprinkles.
Fruity Frozen Yogurt Bites
- Vanilla Greek yogurt (I prefer non-fat yogurt)
- Optional: toothpicks for easier handling
Dice the strawberries and halve your blueberries. Place them in a silicone mold (if you have one that is star-shaped, even better!) and cover with yogurt. Add toothpicks in the center of each, standing upright. Leave them in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
The Healthiest Option – Watermelon!
Who says fruit can’t also serve as a beautiful cake centerpiece? Set one watermelon slice aside for the base, and use a mini melon or cookie scoop to ball up the rest of the melon on top. Display on a cake stand for that extra touch.